Entry Requirements

This information is for applicants needing to apply for a Student Visa (previously known as Tier 4 (General) student status). For further information, please consult the UK Visas and Immigration information pages here.

As a Student Visa applicant, you must demonstrate that you meet the entry requirements for the programme that you wish to study. We recognise that international applicants from around the world have a wide range of relevant qualifications and therefore we consider all applications on their own merit. Please note that it’s not possible to list all acceptable international entry requirements so please contact us if you have any queries. Normally you should have successfully completed at least your high school leaving certificate. Some courses will have additional entry requirements so please have a look at detailed course information for further information.

If your first language isn’t English, please have a look at our English language requirements below.

If you require further advice about subject choice, entry requirements or the application process please contact the International Office: international@slc.ac.uk

Brexit Guidance

In June 2016 the UK voted in favour of leaving the European Union and left on Friday 31 January 2020 under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement.

The transition period ended on 31 December 2020. New rules took effect in January 2021.

South Lanarkshire College will continue to welcome students from across the world to study and train for the future they want.

Our staff are here to support current and future students to successfully undertake their studies with us.

EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS)

EU, EEA and Swiss nationals resident in the UK before 31 December 2020

The UK left the EU on 31 January 2020. The transition period ended on 31 December 2020.

We know this can be an unsettling period for our EU students.

What happens for you just now?

Most EU nationals have the same status for fees as home students for the duration of their course of study. EU nationals are eligible for varying levels of student funding. In Scotland, students on non-advanced courses do not usually pay any fees.


What is changing for you because of Brexit?

EU, EEA and Swiss nationals, and eligible family members, who started living in the UK before 31st December 2020, and want to continue living in the UK after 30th June 2021 must apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled’ status depending how long they have lived in the UK).

The EU Settlement Scheme gives you the opportunity to protect your residence rights and status in the UK.

The deadline for applications is 30 June 2021.

So, act now if you are eligible to apply for your ‘pre-settled’ or ‘settled’ status!

Note: you do not need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you have British or Irish citizenship (including ‘dual citizenship’).

You can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme on the gov.uk website. To apply and find out more detailed information about the documents you need to provide and if you meet the eligibility criteria, please go to:


The gov.uk website also has a translated guide in 26 other languages:


If you have any questions about the EU Settlement Scheme or need help applying, you can contact Citizens Advice Scotland (EU Citizens Support Service) for free confidential and impartial advice and support. Please go to:


The UK and Scottish Governments have confirmed that EU students who began their studies in or before the academic year 2020-21 will continue to be treated as home students for the purpose of fees and financial support. This includes approved articulation pathways students: for example an HNC course progressing directly to HND year two.

For more information, please contact international@slc.ac.uk

EU, EEA and Swiss nationals arriving in the UK after 31 December 2020

EU, EEA and Swiss nationals (and excluding Irish nationals) who come to the UK after 1 January 2021 will need immigration permission to enter the UK. If you are coming to the UK after 1January 2021 to study at South Lanarkshire College you will be considered a visa student and you will need to get the relevant immigration permission to study in the UK. There will be restrictions on your ability to work while studying and you might not be able to continue living in the UK after your course ends unless you find another sponsor or switch to a different visa category.

There is a requirement to establish an English Language competency level IELTS 5.5, with a minimum of 5.5 in each component band.

For more information, please contact international@slc.ac.uk

COURSE FEES 2020-21 AND 2021/22
EU fees for 2020/2021

EU citizens, and relevant family members, who start a Further or Higher education course in Scotland in the 2020/21 academic year have been charged the same tuition fees and received the same student funding as Scottish students for the entirety of their course, provided that they met the residence criteria.

EU fees for 2021/2022

EU nationals who have ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled’ status in the UK will remain eligible to apply for home tuition fees and student funding in 2021/2022, providing they meet the residence conditions.

There will be no restrictions on the type of course you can study at South Lanarkshire College.

Under the Common Travel Area agreement between the UK and Ireland, students from the Republic of Ireland will be subject to different arrangements to other EU students and will not need to apply for ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled status’. Future fee arrangements for Irish students are currently being discussed between the Scottish, Irish and UK Governments.

English Language Requirements

All applicants whose first language is a language other than English (including applicants from the EU/EEA and Switzerland) will need to have an IELTS certificate.

Applicants to HNC or HND courses must be able to demonstrate an IELTS score of at least 5.5 in all components: reading, writing, listening and speaking.

Students from outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland also need to make sure that they meet the UK Visas and Immigration (part of the Home Office) requirements for English language. We recommend that you check their website for the most up-to-date requirements: www.gov.uk/student-visa/knowledge-of-english


If you’re an EU/EEA or Swiss national with pre-settled or settled status, then you don’t need permission to study here.  If you haven’t registered to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS), and you haven’t been granted pre-settled or settled status, you will need to apply for a Student visa.

If you’re an applicant from outside of the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you’ll need permission to enter the UK and to study here. If you don’t already have a visa or leave to remain, you will need to apply for a Student Visa to study with us.

Check here to see whether you need a visa.

Click here for information on Student visa requirements.

Please contact us by emailing international@slc.ac.uk if you’re unsure about anything.

Course Fees 2021-22 for International Applicants (including EU/EEA and Swiss with no pre-settled or settled status)

International fees for 2021/22 are £6,500.