SCQF Level 6 (same level of learning as a Higher)
(Open to S5/S6)
The Foundation Apprenticeship course is designed to allow you to combine your school learning, with college learning and work experience. Your Foundation Apprenticeship will be studied alongside your other school subjects and will give you the experience you need to kick start a career with children and young people.
Open to S5 or S6 pupils
- Tuesday and Thursday 1pm – 4pm, Plus another 1/2 day or full day on work placement.
- You should have gained a minimum of 2 National 5 qualifications (one of which must be English) by course commencement.
- You’ll be required to complete a Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme record.
- On application you’ll be interviewed by a member of the course team.
On completion you’ll be eligible for entry to NC Childcare & Development or HNC Childhood Practice, Health or Social Care
You’ll be able to apply for employment or Modern Apprenticeship opportunities in early year establishments.
You’ll cover a range of child based modules including delivering a Bookbug session to gain confidence in delivering a reading session for children, Childsmile training to develop an awareness of the importance of oral health and Paediatric first aid training where you’ll be awarded a College certificate.
There will also be mandatory units:
4 Four Mandatory credits include
• Play for children and young people
• Safeguarding of children and young people
• Communicating with children and young people
• Promote the well being and safety of children & young people
• Industry and young people
Mandatory options are:
• Support effective communication
• Support the health & safety of yourself & individuals
• Develop & Support your own knowledge & practice
• Support the safeguarding of children