This programme offers a combination of Units which meet the University of the West of Scotland (UWS) and Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU) requirements for entry to the first year of nurse training. SLC is a member of the Scottish Wider Access Programme (SWAP). Students who fulfil the SWAP criteria may be guaranteed a place in either the Adult or Mental Health nursing course at UWS or GCU.
The programme provides additional support to those adults who are returning to education after a substantial period of time.
Core units include:
• Problem solving
• Working with others
• Information technology
• Numeracy for nurses
Optional units may include:
• Care: human development and behaviour
• Care: social influences
• Mental health issues
• HIV, Hep B/C infection
• Stress & stress management
• Human body of care support workers
• Contemporary issues
• Care: values and principles
• Health promotion
• Social welfare issues for carers
• Introduction to counselling
• Understanding the needs of the older person
• Preparation for Higher Education
• Out of education for 5 years with no current educational entry qualifications
• One satisfactory reference
• Successful performance at college and relevant university interview and entry test
NEXT STEP COURSE OPTIONS
Successful completion may allow students to progress to a degree programme in Nursing, HNC Administration and Practice, HNC Social Care. Progression is subject to satisfactory PVG check.
Suitable for students who are considering a career in mental health or adult nursing. Progression is subject to a satisfactory PVG check.