We have recently re-developed our horticulture facilities including:
- A horticulture teaching lab with indoor growing facilities and IT resources for learning, teaching and research
- A purpose-built outdoor horticulture teaching facility with allotments, polytunnel, potting shed and an outdoor classroom
- A well-equipped science lab
- Access to the most up to date equipment and machinery
We have various employer and Industry links. We currently work with a wide range of employers and partners giving student opportunities for placements and project work leading, in some cases to employment. These include grounds maintenance and work with NHS partners.
We have some exciting local projects in the pipeline for August 2019.
Core units include:
- Practical and commercial horticulture
- Hard and soft landscaping
- Landscape design including computer aided design
- Basic plant science: plant identification; soil science; plant structure; plant nutrition; pests and diseases
- Gardening skills
- Skills for employment
- Communication and Numeracy at National 3 or equivalent
- Applicants without formal qualifications can expect to undertake core skills testing at interview
- A PVG will be required to allow access to on-site training opportunities which will be undertaken as an integral part of this course (e.g. working with NHS and educational partners)
- Successful performance at interview including a written task and a group activity
NEXT STEP COURSE OPTIONS
NC Level 5 Horticulture on successful completion of the NC Horticulture at level 4 and successful interview.
Possible employment with local authorities, nurseries, landscapers, contractors.