There is increased demand for skilled gardeners, landscapers and horticulturists. Job vacancies have risen by 4% over the past ten years. This course allows you to develop your practical skills and knowledge and understanding of the various specialist areas of horticulture.
This course will start in August 2022.
- HNC/D in Horticulture
One or more of the following:
- Communication and numeracy qualifications, preferably at National 4
- NC Horticulture at SCQF level 4
- Equivalent recognised qualification
- Relevant work experience
- A PVG from Disclosure Scotland needed for the training element of the course ( for example in NHS and education)
- Acceptance may depend on interview including a skills test, a written task and a group activity.
Course Type and Length Options
|Infill||1 to 2 years|
This course leads to opportunities with local authorities, nurseries, landscapers, and contractors.
We have recently re-developed our horticulture facilities including:
- A horticulture teaching lab with indoor growing facilities and IT resources for learning, teaching and research
- A purpose-built outdoor horticulture teaching facility with allotments, polytunnel, potting shed and an outdoor classroom
- A well-equipped science lab
- Access to the most up to date equipment and machinery
We have various employer and Industry links. We currently work with a wide range of employers and partners giving student opportunities for placements and project work leading, in some cases to employment. These include grounds maintenance and work with NHS partners.
Who is the Course For?
This course is ideal for anyone wanting to develop their career in horticulture and gardening. It will suit school leavers or those looking to change career or take their first steps into the industry.
What Will I Study?
You’ll develop practical skills and learn about landscaping, plant husbandry, botany, plant identification, growth and development. You’ll learn through group work, lectures, industry visits and guest speakers.
How Will I Be Assessed?
Why Should I Choose This Course?
This course will prepare you for the HNC in Horticulture or employment in gardening, landscaping and horticulture. You’ll gain skills and practical experience in our purpose-built on-campus outdoor and indoor gardens and facilities. You’ll get the chance to help with college and other events and community projects. You’ll get the best possible opportunities to progress in your career in horticulture.
What are The Interview Arrangements?
One-to-one or group interview with lecturing staff.