This course will give you the skills, knowledge and qualifications for a career in the Police or Uniformed Public Services. You’ll learn about the Legal System in Scotland, Communication, IT and Social Care. This prepares you for passing the entry-level assessment for joining the Police Service.
This course will start in August 2022.
- No award at HND level for those completing HNC Police Studies
- HNC/HND Legal Services offer partial progression
- Universities recognise the HNC award for entry into first- or second-year degree courses
One or more of the following:
- 1 Higher in a relevant subject and 4 National Units at SCQF level 5/6 or 4 Standard Grades at Credit level
- SVQ level 2 or 3 in a relevant area
- A group of National Qualification Units covering a range of relevant and related topics at SCQF level 5/6
- Different combinations of relevant national qualifications, vocational qualifications and equivalent qualifications from other awarding bodies may also be acceptable. Subject areas include Scottish legal system/general legal studies; first aid/fitness; psychology/sociology; modern studies/contemporary social studies; communication; information handling/information management and ICT
- Acceptance may depend on interview.
Course Type and Length Options
The course is suited to:
- School leavers who plan to join the Police Service
- Mature applicants with work and life experience who plan to join the Police Service
- People looking for a career in other Emergency or Security Service occupations such as the Armed Forces, Fire Service, Prison Service, Private Custodial Services, Private Security Firms, Leisure Services; Youth or Community Work and Voluntary Work.
With the HNC in Police Studies, a probationer in the Police Service can be confident that they have already demonstrated that they can operate at the required level for probationer training (SCQF Level 7). The range of skills developed throughout the HNC in Police Studies including research skills, will ensure that candidates can progress into higher levels of education with underpinning learning capabilities in place.
Who is the Course For?
This course is ideal for anyone wanting to develop their career in the Police or Uniformed Services. It will suit school leavers or those looking to change career or progress into the industry.
What Will I Study?
You’ll learn about the Scottish Legal System, Scots Private Law, Social Science, Commercial Law and Police Studies. Various visits are embedded in your course to Tulliallan, Police offices, Police Scotland Recruitment Centre, Courts, Fire Stations etc. and hear from a range of guest speakers from different Legal backgrounds and Uniformed Services.
How Will I Be Assessed?
SQA secure assessments.
Why Should I Choose This Course?
This course will prepare you for a career in the Police, Legal Services or Armed Services. You’ll be taught by experienced staff who’ve worked in the field. You’ll get the chance of work placements and site visits, and to hear from guest speakers. You’ll learn useful skills and knowledge for progressing in this sector.
What are The Interview Arrangements?
Group presentation, skills test and individual interview.