71% of UK legal employers are planning to recruit staff over the next 12 months, so there are plenty of opportunities ahead. This course leads to higher-level study and is a good starting point for those wanting to pursue a career in the well paid and rewarding Law and Criminology sectors.
This course will start in August 2022.
- HND Legal Services or other HND programme including: Accounting, Human Resource Management and Business Management
- If you wish to progress to Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree programme with a view to becoming a solicitor, some Universities recognise this award, depending on their admissions procedures
One or more of the following:
- At least 1 Higher in English, Modern Studies, History or economics
- An appropriate grouping of National Units in legal services or Communication
- Higher National Unit DE1K 33 (Workplace Communication in English)
- Equivalent recognised qualification
- Relevant work experience
- If English is not your first language, ESOL at an appropriate level or IELTS or equivalent with an entry score of 5.5 or above
- Acceptance may depend on interview.
Course Type and Length Options
There are opportunities in administrative or supervisory/management roles in Business, Finance, the Commercial or Public sectors and the Police service.
The conveyancing, debt recovery, and executory choices within the HNC specifically meet the needs of paralegals.
When you register for the HNC/HND you can enrol with the Scottish Paralegal Association (SPA) as a student member or at a higher level depending on relevant work experience.
You will be able to:
- join the Members’ Rewards Scheme
- attend the SPA Annual Conference
- be part of a National Network of Paralegals
Who is the Course For?
This course is ideal for anyone wanting to develop their career in Law and Legal Services. It will suit school leavers or those looking to change career or progress into the industry.
What Will I Study?
You’ll learn about the Scottish Legal System, Scots Private Law, Property Law, Commercial Law and Communication. The course is endorsed by the Law Society of Scotland and the Scottish Paralegal Association. You’ll visit law courts and hear guest speakers from different Legal backgrounds.
How Will I Be Assessed?
SQA secure assessments.
Why Should I Choose This Course?
This course will set you on the path to a career in Law, Legal Services and Criminology. With an average salary of £42,000 across the UK for newly qualified Lawyers and ample job opportunities for knowledgeable individuals, this course will teach you the fundamentals in order to progress to higher-level study or into an entry-level position. You’ll be taught by our experienced staff and get the chance of work placements, visits to the Crown Office, local law firms and other organisations, and a variety of guest speakers. This course is one of our most popular, so we encourage you to apply early.
What are The Interview Arrangements?
Group presentation, skills test and individual interview.