This course will help you to develop your understanding of applied science; and develop analytical, evaluative and problem-solving skills with chemistry and biology theory. You’ll learn in a laboratory setting.
This course will start in August 2022.
Education Progression in Applied Science:
- HND Applied Science
- Second year of a life sciences degree programme at the University of Glasgow
- HND Applied Biological Science (biomedical route)
- HND Industrial Biotechnology
- Paramedical Science
- Criminal Justice and Forensic
- Degree courses at Glasgow Caledonian University, University of the West of Scotland, University of Strathclyde and the Open University. This includes the BSc in Biomedical Sciences
One or more of the following:
- Minimum of 1 Higher at C grade or above which should include a science subject and
- NAT 5 Maths or
- NQ level 6 or
- Other relevant NQ grouping at SCQF level 5/6 or
- Equivalent award
- Acceptance may depend on an interview.
Course Type and Length Options
This course leads to opportunities in science areas such as research and industrial laboratories, and biological and biomedical industries. There can be opportunities in the public, voluntary and private sectors.
Who is the Course For?
This course is ideal for anyone wanting to start a career in applied science. It will suit school leavers or those looking to change career or progress into the industry.
What Will I Study?
You’ll learn about applied science and develop analytical, evaluative and problem-solving skills with chemistry and biology theory.
Units include chemistry, biology DNA/genetics, statistics, laboratory skills, personal development, and health and safety. You’ll learn through groupwork, lectures, industry visits and guest speakers.
How Will I Be Assessed?
Closed and open-book assessments, practical experiments.
Why Should I Choose This Course in Applied Science?
Most jobs need people who are competent in science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) subjects, and there is a focus on STEM skills in many sectors. The science industry itself continues to grow. This course will give you what you need to progress to HND or university study. You’ll be taught by lecturers with experience in the science field, go on site visits, and learn about the industry from our partners such as the Marine Conservation Society, University of the West of Scotland and Glasgow, NHS Lanarkshire and the Scottish Universities Environment, Research Centre and the Scottish Ambulance Service. Find out more about why you should study at South Lanarkshire College by clicking here.
What are The Interview Arrangements?
Interview with professional reference, essay and qualifications discussed.