Non Advanced

Bursary support may be available for a course that leads to an apporved vocational qualification up to, but not including, Higher National Certificate.   You may make application once you have received an unconditional or a conditional offer of a place on a course.

Full-time Bursaries / Education Maintenance Allowance

Generally, Bursaries (EMAs for under 19s) are awarded to support full-time attendance on a course which involves attendance of 19.5 hours or more per week for a full academic year. Students who satisfy the residence criteria for bursary support will not have to pay tuition fees. In addition, students may qualify for maintenance allowance, study expenses, travelling expenses and additional expenses for those students with additional support needs.

Part-time Bursaries

Certain categories of part-time students on non-advanced courses may apply for assistance with travel costs, and course expenses. For more information, contact the College Bursary Officer.


  1. What is a Bursary / Educational Maintenance Allowance?
  2. Who can apply?
  3. Which courses are eligible for support?
  4. For how long will I receive support?
  5. What if I have studied before?
  6. When should I apply?
  7. What kind of information will I be asked to provide?
  8. How will the information be processed?
  9. How will my application be assessed?
  10. What will the Bursary / EMA award consist of?
  11. How much will I receive?
  12. How will I be paid?
  13. Can I appeal?
  14. What are my responsibilities?
  15. What if I am currently in receipt of DWP benefits?
  16. Childcare
  17. Definitions

These guidelines are for the completion of the Bursary and Educational Maintenance Allowance (EMA) application forms and provide information that will help you understand the conditions attached to the award of a Bursary or Educational Maintenance Allowance. If you require a large text version of these guidelines, please contact the Bursary Office.

The guidelines do not cover the full range of personal circumstances and, for those who wish a copy, the full policy documents on Bursaries and EMAs are available from the Bursary Officer or from the Scottish Funding Council's website

Both Bursaries and EMAs are assessed in accordance with national and College policies and rules.

South Lanarkshire College ,
Bursary Office,
College Way,
East Kilbride G75 0NE
T: 01355 807780
F: 01355 807781



Students may also access high level information on funding and the cost of learning on the Scottish Government's website

1 What is a Bursary / EMA?

A Bursary is a discretionary award given by the College to help maintain a student beyond the statutory school leaving date.

An Educational Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is a weekly allowance, payable to a young student during term-time, with additional bonuses payable for attendance and achievement.
back to top

Any information given on this webpage is based on the data available at the time of publication and is therefore subject to change.

2 Who can apply?

Bursary: In most cases, if you have been ordinarily resident in the UK for the three years prior to your date of application, and are resident in Scotland prior to the start of your course, you are likely to be eligible. There are a number of special cases in relation to residency requirements and we can give you further information and guidance if you think that this issue may affect you.

EMA: In order to qualify for an EMA from August of any given year, applicants currently must be 16-19 years of age and normally have completed S4 prior to the commencement of the award.
back to top

3 Which courses are eligible for support?

Bursary: Full-time courses, involving attendance of at least 19.5 hours per week, which lead to an approved vocational qualification up to but not including Higher National Certificate level. Bursary support may also be awarded to cover travel expenses for attendance on a part-time course of study. Some short full-time and introductory programmes may also be approved for Bursary support. A full list of programmes is available from the Bursary Officer.

EMA: Normally, any full-time course of study (19+ hours or more of guided learning per week) leading to a recognised qualification up to SVQ level 3 / SCQF level 6.

In both cases, support is offered where no alternative source of funding is available.
back to top

4 For how long will I receive support?

Bursary: Normally one year, although the College may authorise additional support for some courses, up to a maximum of three years.

Normally a maximum of three years. Students with a learning difficulty or disability may receive support for additional years.
back to top

5 What if I have studied before?

Bursaries will not normally be available for those who have previously received financial support for a full time course beyond the age of 18 years. In special circumstances, the College may make a second award if there are fair and good reasons for doing so. These circumstances are outlined in the Bursary Policy Document.

The College has access to a national database of information on previous student awards that will be used to vet applications.
back to top

6 When should I apply?

Bursary / EMA: You should apply as soon as you accept your offer of a place on a College course.

You should aim to submit your application at least four weeks before the start of your course. Failure to do so may result in your having to start your course without knowing whether you will receive an award / the level of funding you will receive.

Closing dates for both Bursary and EMA applications - no later than SIX weeks* after the date tuition commenced on your course of study. You should note that this may not be the date that you started the course.
*applications received after that date may not be accepted and cannot be backdated.
back to top

7 What kind of information will I be asked to provide?

You will need to provide the following types of information. A checklist is provided to help you ensure that you do not omit anything. Please note that if you do not supply the information and/or original documents requested then your application cannot be processed and you may not have your funding in place for the start of your course.

  • Personal details: name, age, address, NI number, marital status
  • Bank account details
  • Your own income
  • Your parents' / partner's / spouse's income
  • Details of any DWP benefits
  • Previous financial support for education
  • Details on any dependants
  • Details of your proposed travel arrangements
  • Details on your planned course of study.

If you are awaiting supporting documents from another source eg DWP or Tax Office, submit your application with a note indicating that the DWP certificate has been applied for.  Once received, you should immediately hand this in to the Bursary Office.  Your award cannot be finalised until this has been received.
back to top

8 How will the information be processed?

All information will be treated confidentially.  Once processed, the information will be stored on computer within the College Management Information System under the terms of the Data Protection Act (1998). The College contributes to and has access to a national database of student award information that may be used to verify your application details.
back to top

9 How will my application be assessed?

Applications will be assessed based on total income (own income or parental income or spouse's / partner's income as appropriate) based on the previous tax year (i.e. the tax year ending on 5 April 2014). Only original documents can be accepted (i.e. photocopies are not accepted).   We may also give due regard to other sources of funding available when assessing any award.
back to top

10 What will the Bursary / EMA award consist of?

Bursary: According to the needs of the individual, the bursary may include sums to cover the costs of

  • maintenance, taking account of any dependants (ie board and lodging, clothing, laundry, pocket money and living expenses for tuition weeks during the College academic year)
  • study expenses for necessary materials and/or clothing and equipment (note that these may be provided in kind by the College)
  • necessary and reasonable travelling expenses (over 2 miles)
  • additional expenses for students with learning difficulties or disabilities

EMA: The Education Maintenance Allowance is only payable during term time and is not payable during College holiday periods within or outwith the academic year. Students being supported by an EMA may be given an award for travel and/or course expenses from the Bursary Fund.
back to top

11 How much will I receive?

Bursary: There are three categories of bursary depending on your age. A parental / partner contribution is assessed on all bursaries except where an applicant qualifies for independent status as a self-supporting student and in this case it is the student's own income which will be assessed using Scale 3 (see below).

Student who is under 19 but beyond the compulsory school leaving date on the start date of their course. Please note that most16/17/18 year-old students will be eligible to apply for an EMA instead of an under 18 Maintenance Allowance (see below).

A parentally-supported student over 19 but under 25 on the start date of their course.

A self-supporting student 25 or over on the start date of their course or who is under 25 but satisfies the criteria for 'independent status'.

South Lanarkshire College's basic rate for each category of bursary is shown below. These rates will be adjusted to take account of any financial contribution that you, your parents or partner could reasonably be expected to make towards your expenses. Assessment of this contribution is made against the gross aggregated income of both parents, partner or the applicant, as appropriate.
back to top

South Lanarkshire College


  At home Away from home Self-supporting students
Under 19 n/a £36.98 n/a
Parentally supported £73.61 £93.03 n/a
Self-supporting n/a n/a £93.03

Scale 1: Students under 18
Contributions will be payable where parental income is above £20,351 based on an initial payment of £45 and a payment of £1 for every £9 above £20,351.  For example:
Income Contribution
less than £20,351 £0
£20,351 £45
£21,521 £175
£24,401 £495
£26,471 £725

Scale 2: Parentally supported students
Contributions will be payable where parental income is above £24,275 based on an initial payment of £45 and a payment of £1 for every £9 above £24,275 up to a threshold of £50,977 where it will change to £1 for every £6.50.  For example:
Income Contribution
less than £24,275 £0
£24,275 £45
£31,745 £875
£41,735 £1,985
£48,664 £2,866
£52,000 £3,169

Scale 3: Self-supporting students
Contributions will be payable where spouse/partner income is above £20,643 on an initial payment of £45 and a payment of £1 for every £9 above £20,643 up to a threshold of £50,977 where it will change to £1 for every £6.50.  For example:
Income Contribution
less than £20,643 £0
£20,643 £45
£27,933 £855
£35,538 £1,700
£50,568 £3,370
£52,000 £3,573

EMA:  The full EMA allowance is £30 per week.  The actual amount of the individual award is dependant on household income.  EMA is normally awarded where household income does not exceed £20,351 (or £22,403 for families with more than one child in full-time educaiton).  The £10 and £20 per week payment will not be available to new entrants.

Any information on EMAs is based on the data available at the time of publication and is therefore subject to change.
back to top

12 How will I be paid?

All payments are made directly into your bank account through the Banks Automated Credit Transfer System (BACS).

On a four-weekly basis (usually on a Thursday) two weeks in advance/two weeks in arrears

EMA: On a two-weekly basis in arrears (usually on a Friday)

You will be issued with payment schedules for Bursary and EMA as appropriate.
back to top

13 Can I appeal?

Bursaries and EMAs are assessed in accordance with national and College policies and rules. There is an appeals procedure and further information on this is available from the Bursary Officer and from our website

All appeals should be made in writing to the Head of Student Services and must be accompanied by supporting evidence.
back to top

14 What are my responsibilities?

When you accept an offer of funding (Bursary or EMA), you enter into an Agreement with the College. The offer letter will detail these conditions and your responsibilities relevant to these respective funds. If you fail to meet these requirements, the College may withdraw the award and cancel any future payments and require a refund of any sums already paid.

  • All funding is subject to satisfactory conduct, progress and attendance at College.
  • You are expected to have 100% attendance at College.
  • If you are absent you must submit certification within 3 college days of your return. (A doctor's certificate for absences of more than 1 week, college self-certificate if less than 1 week).
  • If you have been absent for 2 weeks without contacting the College and submitting a medical certificate you will be deemed to have withdrawn from the course from your last date of attendance and you will require to repay any money paid to you during that period.
  • You will receive full Conditions of Award with your award assessment.

back to top

15 What if I am currently in receipt of DWP benefits?

Students are not normally entitled to receive DWP benefits and full bursary maintenance allowance. Students, their partners and especially lone parent and disabled students who have a right to claim DWP benefits and who are NOT required to register as being available for work while on a full-time college course, may submit and application for bursary support to assist with the cost of necessary books, equipment and travel. This payment will not adversely affect the long-term benefit rights of applicants and their partners.
back to top

16 Childcare

If you require to pay for registered childcare for the times when you are attending College, you may receive assistance towards these costs. You should complete a separate Further Education Childcare form and provide details of costs from the registered childcare provider.

There is a maximum amount that will be available to any one student for registered childcare.  Priority will be given to those using the Happitots Nursery on campus.

There is no entitlement to childcare assistance where an alternative source of funding exists. These alternatives may include childcare payments via the Inland Revenue's Tax Credit Scheme, Childcare Partnership Funding for 3-5 year olds and, in the case of lone-parents, childcare assistance via the New Deal for Lone-parents Scheme.
back to top

17 Definitions

Start date of course - the date the course started which may not necessarily be the date that the student started on the course.

Parent - parent or legal guardian

Self-supporting status - Students aged 25 or over at the start date of the course.  This is the date the course starts rather than the date that the student starts on the course.

A student who has not reached the age of 25 may also be defined as self-supporting if one or more of the following applies on the start date of the course:

  • they are married (this does not include situations where the student was married but that marriage broke down prior to the start date of the course OR
  • they have no parents living OR
  • they are caring for a child dependent on them OR
  • they have supported themselves for periods aggregating no less than 3 years.  This includes periods when the individual was either
    • in employment  and earning equal to or more than current income support levels OR
    • supported by a partner with earnings equal to or more than current income support levels OR
    • on a training programme operated by or on behalf of the Employment Service, Scottish Government (formerly the Scottish Office) Scottish Enterprise or Highlands and Islands Enterprise OR
    • in receipt of unemployment benefit/jobseeker's allowance and/or can provide confirmation that they were available or registered for employment or actively seeking employment OR
    • in receipt of sickness benefit, invalidity pension, incapacity benefit, maternity allowance, severe disablement allowance, statutory sick pay or statutory maternity pay OR
    • in receipt of income support or New Deal payments OR
    • caring for a person (adult or child) dependent on them.  The college will look for evidence that the student has been the primary carer for an adult.

The onus is on the student to provide documentary evidence to prove they have self-supporting status.  If there is not sufficient evidence to prove this, then the college should consider that student under one of the other categories of support.

Married / Partner - The student or parent is legally married or living with a partner in an established relationship at the start date of the course. A college is advised that the onus is on the student to prove they are in an established relationship if that student wishes to be considered as a self-supporting student on that basis. This proof will require documentary evidence such as a marriage certificate, a current Council Tax bill or an official letter that clearly states the couple's names and address.
back to top

Bursary Conditions of Award

Read more

EMA Conditions of Award

Read more

How to submit a self-certificate online

Find out more

Bursary appeal form

Download form


Connect with us and see what our students have been up to!